Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Battle of the Bulge - week 3


My current weight: 177.6
My current BMI: 25.5 (overweight)
Pounds lost so far: 7.4
Days of Cardio this week: 1
Days of Yoga this week: 0
Days of Strength training this week: 0

I actually changed my goal this week to maintaining my weight but was surprised to see that I actually did lose 1.4 lbs. I have been sick and flew to Utah and back and realized that this week my body really needs the energy and it was not a time to diet. I'm on the mend now, finally getting some energy back, though Coll said I still sound horrible :)

Weight Loss Tip of the Week:
This one is easy, but something much overlooked by motivated dieters. A time of illness is NOT a time to deprive your body of calories. The goal of weight loss for many people entails a transition to a healthier lifestyle but when ones body is being attacked by a virus or bacteria (or fungus or prion for that matter!), it is time to give up the dieting temporarily until it gets its butt kicked by the immune system. Now, that doesn't mean take the opposite route and eat nothing but ice cream and oreos until you feel better, but aim for feeding your body healthy calories, full of vitamins and minerals. This may seem commonsensical and straightforward but I have had to sit down and discuss this with patients in the hospital who just had a major surgery. If you are going to heal quickly you need to give your body an easily accessible form of energy (and burning fat is not easily accessible). So, until you feel better focus on maintaining the weight you are at (and not gaining any weight back).

Goals for Next Week:
Despite the fact that I'm starting to feel better, I'm still going to go a bit easy on myself this week. I would like to aim for 2-3 days of cardio and a weight loss of 2.6 lbs (which would take me down to 175 lbs). Stay tuned!

1 comment: